INTERNSHIP OPENINGS: Women’s Public Policy Network – Program and Policy Intern. Fall 2021
The Ohio Women’s Public Policy Network (WPPN) is seeking policy and programming interns to join our team for Fall 2021, beginning as early as September 2021. This is a great opportunity to work at a non-profit policy and advocacy organization, supporting their efforts to advance public policy that builds economic opportunity and health equity for women and families. You will help us do legislative research, draft memoranda, attend legislative session and hearings, and contribute to projects throughout your time here.
Please note: Given the health concerns of the coronavirus outbreak, our staff has moved to partially remote work. With that in mind, the interview process and internship program will be done virtually to adhere to social distancing recommendations.
Projects / Learning Outcomes:
The WPPN program and policy intern will learn how non-profits, elected officials, and advocacy groups work together to enact change at the local, state, and national level. The intern will also gain valuable knowledge on how the legislative process works at the Ohio General Assembly. This internship will provide ample opportunities to directly interact with elected officials and policy thought leaders in Ohio.
- Help draft, edit, and produce policy briefings, Fact Sheets, reports, blogs, and other written materials related to women’s economic security
- Support the creation of weekly newsletters, including compiling news clips and partner event listings
- Draft and brainstorm content for social media accounts
- Conduct policy research and monitor priority legislation
- Attend (virtual) rallies, press conferences, and other events hosted by WPPN and partner organizations
- Assist staff with other projects, such as Voter Guide Questionnaires and Legislative Scorecards
- Attend (virtual) meetings with staff and partners related to women’s policy and programming
Qualifications and Requirements: Applicants are not expected to have all of these requirements
- General knowledge of politics and policy
- Proficient in use of MS office and Google Docs
- Detail oriented, good judgement and decision-making skills
- Dependability, commitment to the work
- Ability to prioritize multiple projects and work independently
- Enrolled in a college degree program
- Ability to do research and distill it down into a concise, intuitive narrative
- Passion for social justice, gender equity, and racial equity
Position Type: Internship
Desired Major(s): Political Science, Public Policy, Governmental Affairs, Journalism, Women’s Gender and Sexuality Studies, Communications, and/or Economics
Salary Level: Unpaid, College/University Credit Available if Applicable
Approximate Hours Per Week: 10 – 20 hours, flexible
Application process: In order to be considered for an internship, please send the required materials to Erin Ryan at email@example.com with the subject line “WPPN Fall Intern_Name” by COB Monday, August 16
Required materials include:
- Cover letter
- 1 – 2 writing sample of approximately three pages
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of the organization will be considered applicants and receive responses from the Women’s Public Policy Network.