PL+US: Paid Leave for the US is a national non-profit organization with a single mission: win high quality paid family leave for everyone in the U.S. Our three-pronged strategy transforms workplaces, public policy, and culture so that everyone can give and receive care when they need it most.
We are hiring a Paid Leave Campaign Manager to lead our grassroots efforts in Ohio. This position will be housed out of our in-state partner, the Ohio Women’s Public Policy Network (WPPN), a coalition of more than 30 organizations working collaboratively to advance policies that create economic security and strengthen families.
The Campaign Manager will be uniquely positioned to capitalize on the momentum of WPPN’s paid family leave campaigns over the last three years, including past supporters, legislative action, and the real stories of real people across Ohio who are ready for paid family leave. This person will work in partnership with staff from PL+US and WPPN to lead the grassroots movement to win paid family leave in the state and build momentum for a national policy.
This is a perfect role for an experienced organizer, coalition builder, and advocate who’s ready to apply everything they’ve learned over the years to win one of the signature battles of the decade.
- In partnership with staff from PL+US and WPPN, the Campaign Manager will develop and manage a long-term campaign to advance paid family leave in Ohio through organizing and coalition building, creative communications and digital media efforts, and strategic legislative tactics;
- Lead, expand and engage paid leave supporter base in the state of Ohio; building diverse networks of paid leave validators, supporters, and advocates, including health care professionals, business leaders, workers and labor union partners, parents and caregivers, elected officials, and members of the faith community.
- Develop and coordinate a robust story bank program, including identifying story bank participants and conducting interviews to develop their paid leave stories; organizing storytelling activities and story dissemination, such as press events and video testimonials; and integrating stories into communications or organizational materials, such as blogs or op-eds;
- Plan and organize field hearings, panel discussions, and other events on paid family leave in various cities across the state;
- Identify and generate ways for paid leave supporters to take actions that help us win paid family leave through our workplace, political and legislative programs;
- Draft, edit, and produce paid leave campaign materials, such as Fact Sheets and One-Pagers tailored to various stakeholders and communities;
- Represent PL+US and the Women’s Public Policy Network in various progressive coalitions throughout the state, and collaborate and develop relationships with current and new partners to build a robust, multi-faceted paid leave campaign.
Skills and experiences you’ll need to bring:
We have no formal education requirements – if you take on the role and are willing to grow with it, that’s all that matters. This role requires:
- At least 5-7 years of experience in community organizing, issue advocacy, and/or political campaigns;
- Significant work experience on issue or candidate campaign management, and an ability to work independently and manage multiple projects simultaneously;
- Experience in effectively building and maintaining relationships with coalition partners and various stakeholders, and an ability to develop tactics that engage paid leave supporters and partners in a coherent campaign strategy to win paid family leave;
- An aptitude for grasping complex, key policy messages and effectively communicating them verbally or in writing to various and diverse audiences;
- Ability to travel occasionally to engage stakeholders and partners in various parts of the state;
- Willingness to occasionally work long hours or nontraditional hours to attend/host events, field hearings, or meetings at various points throughout the year;
- Happy working in fast-moving work situations and excited about creative problem solving;
- A deep commitment to equity and inclusion, and experience working in diverse teams;
- Kind, to others and to yourself. We’re building a team that’s smart, fun, fast, supportive, passionate, and collaborative. That starts with people who are truly delighted and challenged by the work, and know how to bring their best selves to it every day; and
- Passionate about winning paid family leave for everyone in the U.S.
We don’t expect you to have all of these! A strong candidate will likely have one or two.
- Local, state, and/or federal legislative experience, preferable in Ohio;
- Communications experience, particularly savvy digital media skills;
- Experience with issue advocacy on paid family leave, women’s issues, or other progressive issues;
- Strong research and policy analytical skills;
Some of the benefits of working for PL+US:
- Awesome team of high impact, low ego people who are in it to win.
- Flexible work schedule. If you need to leave early pick up your kid from school, that’s cool.
- Up to 6 months of paid family leave, as well as health, dental, and vision insurance (up to $500/month).
- Professional development coaching.
- Generous time off. Unlimited vacation, 12 paid holidays, and we all take the week between Christmas and New Years off.
- Retirement accounts. We offer a 401(k) since we want you to retire one day.
- Employer-paid life and disability insurance, commuter benefits program, medical and dependent care FSA program.
Some of the benefits of working with WPPN:
- Creative environment with autonomy and lots of opportunity to make an impact.
- Small team of highly-motivated and mission-oriented coworkers.
- A built-in infrastructure of 32 women’s groups across the state that will help expand your reach.
- Housed within a statewide think tank that provides research and communications resources.
- Embedded in an organization that has spent the last three years building the foundation of a strong paid leave campaign in the state.
- Flexible work schedule and ability to occasionally work remotely.
Salary and Title:
We’re looking to hire a Paid Leave Campaign Manager with a minimum of 5-7 years of experience in organizing, issue advocacy, and/or politics. Salary range is $60,000 – $65,000, commensurate with experience.
Submit an application via Recruiterbox. You’ll need a resume and the ability to answer a handful of short questions in lieu of a cover letter. We would love to hire this role as soon as possible, but know that our perfect candidate may well be working on the 2018 election so we are flexible about the start date. We definitely want someone hired by January 2019 – if not sooner.
PL+US is deeply committed to diversity. We strongly encourage people of color, first-generation Americans, new parents, single parents, people with disabilities, and members of the queer community to apply.
PL+US is an equal opportunity employer. This means that we don’t discriminate against people because of their race, ethnicity, sex, age, religion, national origin, marital status, pregnancy, personal appearance, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, or political affiliation.